WBB: Sabally, Ducks dominate Colorado in Pac-12 opener

Nyara Sabally has arrived. 

The 6’5 redshirt sophomore led the way in Friday’s game putting up 20 points to go along with 10 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 blocks. The Buffaloes had no answer for her all night as she shot a perfect 9-9 from the field and wreaked havoc all night. 

“I thought it would take me a little to get acclimated,” said Sabally with laugh when asked if she expected this type of production from herself so early. “I know the teams are really, really good (in the Pac-12) so I was just really glad to come out and play the way I know I can play.” 

Sabally’s presence was felt immediately as she scored the first five points for the Ducks to start the game. Charlotte Whittaker would score in the post for Colorado with just over 3 minutes remaining in the first quarter, cutting the deficit to just four as they trailed 13-9. They would never get that close to the Ducks for the rest of the night. The Ducks would go on a 7-0 run, sparked by a Maddie Scherr 3, and would ultimately lead 20-12 at the end of the first.  

Despite shooting a poor 29.7% from the field, Colorado was still in striking distance at the half, trailing 34-26. However, the Ducks would pull away with a fantastic third quarter, outscoring the Buffaloes 26-13. It was much of the same in the 4th, and the Ducks cruised to an 82-53 victory.  

For Sabally, Friday’s performance was special. 

“It’s been really hard the last two years,” Sabally said after the game. “It’s been a long journey and I am so happy to finally be on the court with my teammates. It hurt my heart not to be on the court with my teammates, but they were great and the coaching staff. Without all of them I probably wouldn’t have made it here.” 

As for her shooting performance, Sabally was all smiles. 

“I don’t think so,” she said with a laugh after she was asked if she had ever shot perfectly in a game. “I think that’s a first, definitely… need to work on those free throws though.” 

Sabally, who is the little sister of former Oregon standout Satou Sabally, mentioned that things are a little difficult nowadays with Satou being overseas playing professionally. The time zones are about 10 hours apart, and one would think catching a Ducks game would be impossible. 

“She still watches the games. She’s my biggest supporter.” 

Oregon (3-0, 1-0 Pac-12) now prepares for Sunday’s match-up against Utah (0-0, 0-0 Pac-12). Colorado (2-1, 0-1 Pac-12) will travel 47 miles north and hope to bounce back against Oregon State (2-0, 0-0 Pac-12) on Sunday.