DJ Spotlight: Dez Anthony of Takin’ You Higher

If you’ve ever tuned in between 10 pm and 12 am on a Sunday, you’ve likely been hypnotized by the fine tracks mixed by our very own Dez Anthony of Takin’ You Higher. Every show is an act of finesse, and there isn’t detail he hasn’t thought of in consideration for your listening pleasure. Read on to learn more about one of our best live-mix DJ’s:

desmond1

DJ Name & Show: Dez Anthony of Takin’ You Higher

Show time: Sunday 10pm-12am, Fall 2015

Hometown: Seattle, WA

Show genres: A live mix of Hip-Hop, R&B, electronic, soul, and more.

Artists commonly played on show: Knxwledge, Flying Lotus, SiR, D’Angelo

How long have you been a DJ?

Since October 2014

Top 5 albums of 2015:

To Pimp A Butterfly – Kendrick Lamar
Choose Your Weapon – Hiatus Kaiyote
Seven Sundays – SiR
Yawn Zen – Mndsgn
Punch Drunk – Dave B

desmond2

What made you want to be a DJ?

I am a producer but found DJing and making mixes as another way to express myself creatively. I love the idea of showcasing songs across genres and styles that move me, and finding the connections between them. I had some friends that DJ’d and decided to finally apply and give it a shot.

What makes your show unique?

During all of my shows I am mixing live on the air using my laptop, Ableton, a midi-controller, and sometimes an SP-404. I am able to let the music drive the flow of the show.

Any influences for your show or as a DJ?

A couple major influences on my show are artists like OC Notes, Flying Lotus, and Teebs. After hearing their live mixes in concert and from podcasts it opened my eyes to how there is really no limit on what you can play and how to blend different genres.

Click below to hear a live mix Dez Anthony did for Takin’ You Higher:

Takin’ You Higher 10.11.15 – Dez Anthony – KWVA Eugene 88.1 FM by D E Z A N T H O N Y on Mixcloud

Check out the playlist Dez put together to get a taste of his music:

Thanks, Dez Anthony! If you’re interested in being the next featured DJ of the week, contact music@kwvaradio.org.