DJ G’s album review of Purple’s 409

This week, DJ G from The Wake Up Show! has brought you a review of Purple‘s debut album, 409. Scroll on to read about this energizing album.

purple_packshot_hi-res

Purple – 409

I saw her in 2003 when I was just a third grader. Her uncanny, raw energy made No Doubt’s show undoubtedly one of the best shows I’ve ever experienced. None the less, it changed the way I looked at girls too. I’ve always been musically drawn to the Gwen Stefani personas and Purple drummer-vocalist, Hanna Brewer, brings out the young boy in me again. Her soft to screeching vocals are reinforced by thundering drums that keep you on the edge of your seat through each track of the band’s debut album 409.

Purple is a Texas garage-rock trio that doesn’t hold back. There is a relentless, high energy charged by thrashing guitar riffs, thundering drums, heavy bass, and exciting vocal exchanges between Halle and guitarist/vocalist Taylor Busby alive in each track. There is some variety in 409: You’ll hear some serious rock n roll rawness in tracks like “Double Nickels” and Thirteen, a funky punk blues groove in “Leche Loco” with a Jack White worthy guitar riff, and a slower surf rock track in “Beach Buddy”. I look forward to that trip to the coast with friends screaming “Beach Buddy” chorus as the sun sets. No real depth to the album, but a lot of heart, which makes it so energizing and fun. To sum it up, if there was a house show party, it’d be best if Purple performed outside because chances are they’d likely bring the house down.

– DJ G