KWVA On Tour: “Down In Monterey”

KWVA DJ’s always have their ears open, no matter where they go. This winter break, DJ’s will be contributing to KWVA On Tour – a curated collection of playlists from across the globe. Take a look and a listen!

KWVA DJ & Show Title: Tesla of Pop Rocks & Coke (Thursdays 12-1pm)

Location: Monterey, California

Monterey Christmas

Monterey,” The Animals (1967)

About the playlist: Most of my friends in Monterey are involved in music. Residents of the Monterey Peninsula enjoy the privilege of robust arts education in K-12 public schools. I’m grateful I had the opportunity to study music and proud that my community supports the development of young artists.

On Dec. 20, 2016, my band Mozzo Kush came together with our friends to organize a benefit concert for the Youth Arts Collective. Local bands and visual artists presented their work for about 150 attendees. Bernie & The Wolf, El Camino Sutra, Mozzo Kush and The Beholder Band played music for friends new and old.

Sound & Vision: A Concert Benefitting the Arts in Monterey County

Bernie & The Wolf

El Camino Sutra

Mozzo Kush

The Beholder Band

Historically, there have been a bunch of bands with people in these circles. Our friends Hungry Skinny are tied in here. Kenny Chung, The Frontiersmen, Aurora Symphony, The Sheaves, Grand Silver Dollar, Bogie & The Turtles, C.S. Strut. Below you can find links to some of my favorite local and active bands.

The Tomb Weavers

Monterey’s resident Burger Records’ band.

The Tomb Weavers

Strange Ideas

“… minimal, lo-fi outsider folk and acoustic blues.” – Monterey County Weekly, Feb. 2015

Strange Ideas

Sky Country

California rock n’ roll inspired by the coasts and deserts of the western frontier…

Sky Country

The Pip Squeeks

Throwback garage rock full of vintage tones.

The Pip Squeeks

– Tesla