KWVA SPOTLIGHT – DJ EARL GREY

11825901_10207566826436875_1315892130382578310_n

Preferred DJ name: DJ Earl Grey

Hometown: Petaluma,CA

Show time and day: Sunday 6-8 am

Show title: a.m. Omelette

Show genres and/or description: Eclectic with a lot of R&B and Indie music

Artists commonly played on show: Frank Ocean, Solange, Leisure, Rhye, Abhi//Dijon, Lauryn Hill, Kali Uchis

How long have you been a DJ: Since around February of last year so around 8 months

Top 5 albums of 2015:

Blonde – Frank Ocean

We Got It From Here…Thank You 4 Your Service – Tribe Called Quest

A Seat At The Table – Solange

Birds In The Trap Sing McKnight – Travis Scott

KAYTRANDA – 99.9%

screen-shot-2016-11-23-at-5-13-43-pm

How did you get involved with KWVA? What made you want to be a DJ?

I always knew I wanted to be a DJ in college. I’ve always been really into listening to music and finding new artists so it just kinda seemed like a no brainer. When I came to orientation I found the radio station table and asked for an application.

Tell us your favorite moment/memory as a DJ:

My favorite DJ moment was actually from this term. It was my first show in my new time slot and someone called in to tell me how much they were enjoying it.She said she didn’t want to get out of the car because she didn’t want to miss the next hour of music and that just felt so good. As a music lover, and someone who really enjoys sharing music with others it felt amazing for someone to take time and tell me how much they liked my show.

What makes your show unique?

I think my show is unique because I make an effort to play music that people may not have heard before. Of course I play all types of music, popular or not but I make an effort to have a solid mix of music from all genres, and time periods. If someone hears a song they’ve never heard before and they actively look it up so they can hear it again, then I’ve done my job.

If you could play only one album on the radio for the rest of your DJ career, what would it be and why?

That’s literally the most difficult question, but it would probably be Radiohead’s “In Rainbows” because I literally never get tired of that album. That or the new Frank album.

How did you come up with your DJ name and/or show name?

Last year I had a show super early in the morning from 4-6 a.m. and I would always drink black tea to try to wake myself up, so I just thought why not? I’m also just really bad at coming up with clever names.

Dream guest to have on your show?

Shlohmo.His last album “Dark Red” literally changed the way I look at music. I’ve never really had such a deep connection with a piece of music before. I was in a really dark place when the album came out and it literally felt like he wrote it just for me. Then I got to see him preform the entire album in a live set last summer and fell in love all over again.

Any influences for your show or as a DJ?

I don’t really listen to the radio much except for KWVA so I don’t really have any influences for DJ persona or show.

11755659_10207425348060004_4104268527821552059_n